Image via CrunchBaseWednesday June 17, 2009 - 2:15pm CST
I begin downloading the 230MB file known as - iPhone 3.0OS. I am patiently waiting...
Download completes at approximately 2:30pm CST - backup / sync begins.
**"Unable to connect to iPhone Activation Server"....2:35 pm CST**
Wednesday June 17, 2009 - 2:40 pm CST
I am patiently waiting as my iTunes and iPhone sync the latest apps, songs, videos, etc. that I have downloaded since my last sync.
Sync process is complete - Round 2 of 3.0 Upgrade begins.....2:44pm CST.
"Preparing iPhone for software update...".......2:45pm CST
"Waiting for iPhone"........2:47pm CST
"Updating iPhone software".....2:48pm CST
"Verifying updated iPhone software"....2:53pm CST
"Updating iPhone Firmware".....2:59pm CST
"Software Updated...iPhone restarting".....3:02pm CST
Wednesday June 17, 2009 - 3:08pm CST
Second backup of the day is taking place...after disaster a few months ago, I am ok with this.
"iPhone is activated"....3:09pm CST
Backup still running.....3:12pm CST
Backup complete...time for testing....3:21pm CST
Wednesday June 17, 2009 - 3:22pm CST
1 hour and 7 minutes after beginning the download and installation of OS 3.0, I have it ready for testing. Here are my findings:
- PRO: I like the new "search iPhone" feature located towards the bottom left, where you typically rotate through pages. I like the fact it searches apps, inboxes and other items. A- for this improvement.
- PRO: Voice Memos - this seems to be a nice addition as well. The ability to record notes, etc. on the fly and have them stored in an organized fashion is nice. Although, I believe there were already apps available to do this function. B- for this enhancement.
- PRO: Copy and Paste - I tested this within Messaging and found it very easy to use. I have been waiting a long time for this improvement. A+
- PRO: Landscape Keyboard - This is a major improvement. I tested this on messages and emails and found it much easier to type, even though I have become fairly proficient with the old keyboard layout. B+ for this enhancement.
- PRO: Enhanced Stock App - I do enjoy the ability to view stock charts in landscape mode. It provides more data than the previous view. B
- PRO: I do like the "shake to shuffle" feature in the iPod. Fun. B
- PRO: I also like the fact when viewing your calls - the phone numbers / contact has more detail now. "Home, Mobile or Work" are included below the name - so instead of having to guess or provide an extra "click" - the user can easily see which number called. A-
- CON: MMS is not available since I am an AT&T customer. This was one feature I was looking forward to. I hope AT&T does not make us wait more than a few weeks. C for Apple and D- for AT&T
- CON: Tethering is not available either. I was also greatly looking forward to this feature, because as I travel and stay in hotels or other locations, the ability to use the Internet (especially in 3G locations) allows me not to fork over $12.99 to the hotel for a service that should already be free. C- for Apple F for AT&T
JDS | CIO