Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Dell Inspiron Mini 9Image by sugree via FlickrA few months ago I had the opportunity to view HP's Mini Device (HP 2133). My review was fair, but probably not favorable for the device. This week I have had the chance to look over Dell's version - the Inspiron Mini 9. Here are my thoughts:

  • The Atom Processor is far superior to HP's processor. Standard - 1GB of RAM and a 16GB solid state HD provide sufficient computing power for this device. I was able to run multiple applications without any noticeable glitches.
  • The fact that the device basically has no moving parts internally - means it is more durable, gives off little to no heat and provides a more durable device.
  • I do like that the Dell device gives you the option to include a web cam. I see students being able to use this feature for online collaboration and communication.
  • The keyboard is still too small for my initial liking, but it is probably something that I would grow accustomed to using.
Overall I have found this device to be superior to its HP counterpart. I believe these devices are a step in the right direction for school districts who wish to provide their students portable devices for the purpose of research, communication, collaboration and basic word processing - at a price point that doesn't break the bank.

We are continuing to evaluate the device at a district level - testing is being done not only by our technicians, but their children are testing it as well. We also plan to "pass it around" a couple of our middle schools, allowing both teachers and students the opportunity to use the device in a "real world" setting.

Should all of our testing continue to be positive, we will make plans to purchase the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 and implement in our schools after Christmas break.

JDS | CIO

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: