Monday, January 16, 2012

App Review: CloudOn

If you are like me, you are always look for new apps for your iPhone / iPad that simplify the way you organize and share information.  I think CloudOn has hit a homerun. 

CloudOn is an app that allows you to utilize virtual instances of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint while linking to your Dropbox account.  Finally, an app that allows me to utilize these Microsoft tools while providing a seamless link to an online storage platform.

I've been using this app for a couple of weeks and have found myself moving away from Pages on my iPad.  The primary reason is the link to Dropbox.  With Pages I was always having to email my notes to myself and then save them the appropriate folder on my machine.  CloudOn removes that extra step. 

CloudOn also provides users who are used to Microsoft products a familiar look and feel.  While I had started to become accustomed to Pages, I'm glad to have an option when it comes to productivity. 

The biggest plus of CloudOn?  Free.  Yep - it is free.  Obviously, you will need a Dropbox account, but that also is free (at least the basic version).  You will spend $30 for Apple's version of these three products, and not have the seamless connection to storage.  This tips the scales towards CloudOn. 

If you haven't had a chance to check out CloudOn, I strongly recommend you do so.  I believe you will find it to be a valuable productivity and organizational tool.

JDS




No comments: