Friday, October 16, 2009

iPhone 3.1 Experience

Image representing Apple as depicted in CrunchBaseImage via CrunchBase

After weeks of delaying the update - here goes nothing. My initial thought was "wait, let them work out any bugs" or "I don't really need MMS, do I?"

Here goes nothing...my step by step experience in upgrading to 3.1. This time...I did a full backup first.

(10:58am CST) Not off to a great start...every time I would plug my iPhone into my PC - iTunes would freeze up. I updated to the latest version of iTunes, rebooted the iPhone and the PC - nothing. Finally I started doing some research on the web and found a "bug" via the Apple discussion forums. Apparently if you have podcasts that were downloaded on the iPhone and hadn't been synced with iTunes, it caused iTunes to lock up. I started by disabling the auto sync feature in iTunes - no luck. So, I deleted the podcasts from my iPhone (only about 10) - restarted iTunes and what do you know...it works. Note: use Airplane Mode when doing a backup on your device & via @ujdmc - when you are downloading movies/music, etc. otherwise you will continue to be prompted for a password due to a hung file.

(11:27am CST) I am running another backup right now...just to be safe.

(11:56am CST) Backup complete - finally. Nothing like a phone call in the middle of the backup to force it to restart the process.

(11:58am CST) Update to version 3.1.2 begins.

(12:01pm CST) Software downloaded...installation begins. Preparing iPhone for software update.

(12:04pm CST) Updating iPhone software...

(12:07pm CST) Verifying updated iPhone software... (didn't take quite as long as I anticipated to install)

(12:11pm CST) Updating iPhone firmware...

(12:13pm CST) iPhone restarting...installation/update complete

(12:14pm CST) Updating iPhone carrier settings

(12:16pm CST) Calendar/Contacts from Exchange server are missing....

(12:17pm CST) Calendar appears...odd...Calendar defaults to April 2006. No events in current month/year. Still no contacts.

(12:19pm CST) 150/185 contacts are synced. Most current calendar events are synced.

(12:20pm CST) All contacts have synced. Some calendar items still missing...

(12:21pm CST) First test with MMS messaging. (Takes longer than I expected to send the message...) Why am I so excited about an old technology that should have come standard with this phone / service??? Message finally sends after approximately 45 seconds...

(12:24pm CST) Calendar items still syncing...enough have synced to this point for my satisfaction.

Nearly 1.5 hours after the process started - my iPhone is officially running version 3.1.2 and now capable of sending MMS messages, along with Genius recommendations for Apps, ability to organize Apps in iTunes and download ringtones via wireless. Here are the other features of 3.1 via Apple's website:

iPhone OS 3.1 also includes these features and updates:

  • Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos1
  • iTunes U content organization1
  • Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
  • Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
  • Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
  • Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
  • Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
  • Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
  • Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
  • Paste phone numbers into the keypad
  • Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
  • Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
  • Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
  • Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly

I am officially signing off this post. Who can I bombard with MMS messages???


JDS | CIO

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: