Friday, May 23, 2008

Ed Articles and Firefox

Before I begin my blog on Firefox - I wanted to share a couple of excellent educational articles and blogs I came across this week.

The first is an article on eSchool News about scientists who have created an educational video game that helps students explore and learn about the immune system. Very good read:

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/?i=53879;_hbguid=4609205f-a221-4478-8d09-80bcfe89aecc

The second is an educational blog I found through the micro-blogging tool I use called Twitter:

http://www.infinitethinking.org/


Ok...now on to Firefox 3.0 RC1.

I installed and have been running Firefox 3.0 RC1 on my home PC for over a week now. I was very impressed with the download and installation - smooth. The new layout and features (location bar autocomplete, full page zoom and bookmark restore) are an improvement. My initial concern was not being able to use a few familiar extensions (fireshot and clipmarks) - however those were soon added.

A fellow CIO utilizes Zemanta for suggesting pictures, links and articles that relate to your blog. This extension was not available immediately with the new release either.

Speed is amazing with 3.0. Going from IE7 to Firefox 2.0 was an amazing speed difference, and I almost noticed the same increase going from 2.0 to 3.0.

One new feature in the install is Firefox does ask if you want it to be the default browser. In previous versions, you weren't asked this until after you had installed and launched the browser for the first time. Firefox is attempting to slip that one past us. :)

Overall...Firefox 3.0 RC1 is fast, reliable and in my opinion soon to be the best available browser.

JDS | CIO

No comments: